Monday, April 7, 2014

Making Your Own Path

 

IMG_8572
 
I get tons of questions regarding homeschooling on a regular basis.  Sometimes because people are genuinely interested and other times because people are skeptical.  Whatever….either way, it is the path we have chosen for our family.  Our children being involved in the decision.  If they choose to return to public school tomorrow we would be ok with that.  On days that I am frustrated and fatigued honestly that is my biggest threat.  Not necessarily the right thing but I’m just keeping it real.  Heck, I try to be a good Momma but I certainly would never place for mother of the year.  Maine Man’s paternal grandmother actually was honored with that title and she had 12 children I believe.  Imagine that?
 
Homeschooling is not the ideal situation for many but I am fortunate enough to have a partner that believes in it as much as I do.  Sometimes when I question my own sanity he reminds me that we are doing the right thing. I respect MM’s opinion so I know when he says that, he is right.  We are also fortunate to work in positions that accommodate  flexible scheduling allowing us to work opposite so one of us is always home with the kids.
 
My best advice to give someone who is interested in homeschooling is to choose two or three homeschool families in your area and visit with them.  Pick their brains, ask them what they think the pros and cons are, curriculum questions and such.  Homeschool families often take different approaches.  That is the beauty of it, you can do what works best for your family.
 
 
IMG_8588r
 
There are many perks to homeschooling but their is also a great deal of sacrifice.  One of the greatest things is that you get to spend a great deal of time with your family.
 
IMG_8529r

However, that can also be one of the most challenging parts of homeschooling.  I am thankful for my job, the gym, and friends and family that the kids spend time with allowing for time apart.  Separation brings a sense of appreciation to all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post. We home school as well. My husband is the stay at home dad and is able to teach our almost 12 yr old so many valuable lessons he would otherwise miss out on. Best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)